Wednesday 27 July 2011

Hair Abuse


"Can I touch it?? Ooooh, it looks so good!!! It smells good too!....It looks like a puffy cloud..you don't mind if I touch it do you......do you??!!....."

*black woman side eye*. Uh...maybe I do? Maybe you're in my personal space?

 I had an experience in Atlanta when I was sitting in church, and out of nowhere, a grown man - yes, 6 feet tall and 'err-thang, thought it was cool to put his hands (unsolicited) in my fro, massage my scalp and say "Wow...aaawwessome", like this was normal, everyday behaviour. Sorry, what!!?? Are you aware of what you just did?! Mmmm...you can't be aware. Wait, you are aware? And you're smirking like this is cool?! Unfortunately, I'm not the only one.....

(CNN) -- Tamara Winfrey Harris tells a story of being in a chain restaurant with her husband when their names were called for a table
Just as the couple rose to go, a middle-aged white woman standing nearby reached out swiftly to touch Winfrey Harris's hair which at the time was styled in natural twists.
"She missed by mere seconds, she was actually going to grab my hair as I walked past her," recalled Winfrey Harris who runs the blog What Tami Said. "I turned around and she said, 'Oh, your hair is neat.' It just floored me because who does that, just reaches out and touches strangers?" (CNN.com)


What is it about afros or curly hair or natural hair that makes people feel they can just touch it?? Everyone knows a black woman with a fresh perm does not appreciate your hands all up in there. SO why don't naturals get the same level of respect? Why are we exotic zoo creatures to be petted,  and poked and prodded?  I understand that our hair is somewhat unusual in the sense that a lot of black women straighten their hair, and don't get me wrong, I sometimes like people playing in my hair (puts me to sleep :-)), but close family and close friends only. Not the general public and random strangers or vague acquaintances! Why can't people get this?


Is there some deep psychological reasoning behind this madness...let a girl know, please...


Peace, Love and Hair grease folks xx

2 comments:

  1. LOOOL soo sad but true!!
    I almost find it weird when strangers DONT
    want to touch my hair :/ :S :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That funny! I've never thought about it this way...I love it when the guy I'm into touches my hair-I find guys that are into the 'fro attractive! Random people however....you need to ask! :)

    ReplyDelete