Monday 27 June 2011

What's the deal with hair gel part 2...

Onwards and upwards. Literally. (In price and quality). So I copped a couple natural hair gels from natural shops. Literally a couple cos they're kinda pricey.

 1) Komaza Care Coconut Curly Pudding
This stuff is good. But expensive. But lasts ages if you're using it for your edges and holding down the front of your hair. But expensive. But lasts ages. See the dilemma??
 (Pic copyright  is www.britishcurlies.com)

Pros:

  •  Smells like coconuts. Yum.
  • All natural.
  • Minimal flaking.
  • Good hold.
  • Doesn't make hair really stiff (I only use it on my edges).
  • Didn't get spots from it. (you know how hair gel can make you breakout around your forehead?)
  • 1 pot is lasting me a good year. (I hope it hasn't gone 'off')
Cons:
  • Pricey, pricey, pricey. For hair gel?? I think I got overexcited and imagined I was a BALLER.
  • Can't use it to define curls (which is what it says it does), without a moisturiser underneath, otherwise you get hard hair.
  • Did I mention it was expensive? (cop this joint at www.britishcurlies.com (if you're from the U.K))
 2) Holland and Barret Aloe Vera Gel

This stuff is meant for your skin, but can be used on hair. Picture copyright H and B. Before they come and sue me. I guess any Aloo vera gel would work, so US and Canadian version would be like Lilly of the Valley Aloe Gel.



Pros:

  • Cheaper than other natural hair gels. (£4.99 for large size, £2.99 for small).
  • Natural ingredients.
  • Good for skin and hair (double use product..this is GREAT at clearing up skin, I try to remember to use it regularly)
  • Moisturising.
Cons:

  • A bit flaky, left white gunk.
  • No yummy smell :-(.
  • Hold isn't great

Overall Hair gel verdict:

Natural hair and gel dooo go together, but you have to find the right one for your hair type, budget and combo of products. If you use a lot of products in your hair, you will might white goop and potentially flaking.
Unlike moisturisers etc, there are some shop brands that are just as good as the natural ones, and they're pretty affordable. However, the natural gel I use the most (Komaza) is great and I like the smell and ingredients. Having said that, I also regularly use the Organic Root Stimulator lock and twist gel, and found that to be great as well.  Natural hair doesn't have to be expensive...It's up to you!

Peace, Love and Hair grease folks x

No comments:

Post a Comment